John H. Makari, MD, FAAP, FACS
|Education:||BA, The Ohio State University, 1993
MA, The Ohio State University, 1996
MHA, The Ohio State University, 1996
MD, The Ohio State University College of Medicine, 2000
|Residency:||Surgery, George Washington University, 2002
Urology, George Washington University, 2006
|Fellowship:||Pediatric Urology, Vanderbilt University, 2008|
Assistant Professor of Surgery (Urology), University of Connecticut School of Medicine
Dr. Makari is an Attending Pediatric Urologist at Connecticut Children’s Medical Center and is an Assistant Professor of Surgery (Urology) at the University of Connecticut School of Medicine. He is involved in patient care, clinical research and resident education. Dr. Makari has particular interests in lower urinary tract reconstruction, disorders of sex development, and hypospadias. Within the division, he provides oversight of genitourinary reconstruction and has contributed to research presented at the local, regional and national level. Dr. Makari co-authored chapters on vesical neck reconstruction in Glenn’s Urologic Surgery, 7th Edition and urological emergencies in the newborn in Urology Board Review: Pearls of Wisdom: 3rd & 4th Editions. He is a member of the Connecticut Children’s Specialty Group Quality Committee and the board of directors of Connecticut Children’s Medical Center as well as the Connecticut Children’s Medical Center Scientific Review Committee. Dr. Makari is actively involved in the electronic health record transformation at Connecticut Children’s Medical Center, serving as the surgical physician champion for this transition and sits on its Clinical Information Technology Steering Committee and Information Technology Governance Board.
- Manyak MJ, Gladkova ND, Makari JH, Schwartz AM, Zagaynova EV, Zolfaghari L, Zara JM, Iksanov R, and Feldchtein FI. Evaluation of Superficial Bladder Transitional Cell Carcinoma by Optical Coherence Tomography. J Endourol 2005 Jun;19(5):570-4.
- Oottamasathien S, Wang Y, Williams K, Franco OE, Wills ML, Thomas JC, Saba K, Sharif-Afshar AR, Makari JH, Bhowmick NA, Demarco RT, Hipkens S, Magnuson M, Brock JW 3rd, Hayward SW, Pope JC 4th, Matusik RJ. Directed differentiation of embryonic stem cells into bladder tissue. Dev Biol. Apr 15, 2007;304(2):556-566.
- Makari JH, Atalla MA, Belman AB, Rushton HG, Kumar S, Pohl HG. Safety and efficacy of intratesticular injection of vital dyes for lymphatic preservation during varicocelectomy. J Urol. 2007 Sep; 178: 1026-1030.
- Duffy JW, Thomas JC, Makari JH, Gold DG, DeMarco RT, Adams MC, Pope JC 4th, Brock JW 3rd. The Impact of a Fellowship on Resident Training in an Academic Pediatric Urology Practice. J Urol 179, 720-723, 2008.
- Thomas JC, Oottamasathien S, Makari JH, Honea L, Sharif-Afshar AR, Wang Y, Adams C, Wills ML, Bhowmick NA, Adams MC, Brock JW 3rd, Hayward SW, Matusik RJ, Pope JC 4th. Temporal spatial protein expression in bladder tissue derived from embryonic stem cells. J Urol, 2008 Oct;180(4 Suppl):1784-9.
- Anumanthan G, Makari JH, Oottamasathien S, Thomas JC, Franco OE, Sharif-Afshar A, Wills ML, Bhowmick NA, DeMarco RT, Brock JW 3rd, Hayward SW, Matusik RJ, and Pope JC 4th. Directed differentiation of bone marrow derived mesenchymal stem cells into bladder tissue. J Urol, 2008 180(4 Suppl):1778-83.
- Tanaka ST, Makari JH, Pope JC 4th, Adams MC, Brock JW 3rd, Thomas JC. Pediatric ureteroscopic management of intrarenal calculi. J Urol, 2008 Nov.; 180(5): 2150-2154.
- Tanaka ST, Martinez-Ferrer M, Makari JH, Wills ML, Thomas JC, Adams MC, Brock JW 3rd, Pope JC 4th, Bhowmick NA. Recruitment of bone marrow derived cells to the bladder after bladder outlet obstruction. J Urol, 2009 Oct;182(4 Suppl):1769-74.
- Whittam BM, Thomasch JR, Makari JH, Tanaka ST, Thomas JC, Pope JC 4th, Adams MC, Brock, JW. Febrile urinary tract infection after ureteroneocystostomy: a contemporary assessment at a single institution. J Urol, 2010 Feb;183(2):688-92.
- Koski ME, Makari JH, Adams MC, Thomas JC, Clark PE, Pope JC 4th, Brock JW 3rd. Infant communicating hydroceles--do they need immediate repair or might some clinically resolve? J Pediatr Surg. 2010 Mar;45(3):590-3.
- Makari JH, Ramachandra P and Ferrer FA Jr. Pediatric urologic oncology: Organ-sparing surgery for kidney and testis. Urol Clin North Am. 2010 May; 37(2): 287-298.
- Sanders MR, Estrada E, Leopold H, Makari J, Murray N, Schoem S, Wiley CC, Bhandari A. Flexing to aging: a children's hospital responds to a maturing workforce. J Pediatr. 2010 Aug;157(2):177-178.
- Scarpato KR, Makari JH, Agaronov M, Balarezo F, Parikh N, Finck CM, Ferrer FA. Primary renal synovial sarcoma in a 13-year-old boy. J Pediatr Surg. 2011 Sep;46(9):1849-51.
- Chalmers D, Ferrer FA, Kim C, Makari JH. Vesicoamniotic shunt migration in a male fetus with posterior urethral valve. Dialogues in Pediatric Urology. 2012 Feb; 33(2): 5.
- Scarpato KR, Kim C, Makari JH, Silva C, Ferrer FA. Long-term bladder dysfunction as a result of in-utero outlet obstruction in females. Dialogues in Pediatric Urology. 2012 Feb; 33(2): 8.
- Shamshirsaz AA, Ravangard SF, Egan JF, Prabulos AM, Shamshirsaz AA, Ferrer FA, Makari JH, Leftwich HK, Herbst KW, Billstrom RA, Sadowski A, Gurram P, Campbell WA. Difference in the second and third trimester ultrasound of fetal hydronephrosis: predict for postnatal surgery. Dialogues in Pediatric Urology. 2012 Feb; 33(2): 9.
- Makari JH, Pope JC 4th. Investigation of bladder epithelial-stromal interaction using a bone marrow derived mesenchymal stem cell and embryonic bladder mesenchymal tissue recombination model. Dialogues in Pediatric Urology. 2012 Apr; 33(3): 2-3.
- Shamshirsaz AA, Ravangard SF, Egan JF, Prabulos AM, Shamshirsaz AA, Ferrer FA, Makari JH, Leftwich HK, Herbst KW, Billstrom RA, Sadowski A, Gurram P, Campbell WA. Fetal hydronephrosis as a predictor of neonatal urologic outcomes. J Ultrasound Med. 2012 Jun;31(6):947-54.