Matthew Milewski, MD
|Education:||BS, Boston College, 2001
MD, Georgetown University School of Medicine, 2005
|Residency:||Orthopaedics, Yale-New Haven Hospital/Yale School of Medicine, 2005-2010|
|Fellowship:||Orthopaedic Sports Medicine, University of Virginia, 2010-2011
Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery, Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, 2011-2012
Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Connecticut School of Medicine
Dr. Milewski is a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon and double-fellowship trained in sports medicine and pediatric orthopaedics. He grew up in Newington and later graduated from Boston College and then Georgetown University School of Medicine. Dr. Milewski completed his orthopaedic surgery residency at Yale School of Medicine and Yale-New Haven Hospital. Subsequently, he completed a sports medicine fellowship at the University of Virginia where he helped care for the Division I athletes of the University of Virginia and James Madison University. Dr. Milewski then completed a pediatric orthopaedic fellowship at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles. He has published multiple scientific articles and book chapters, and his research interests include studying new surgical techniques for anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction and patellar stabilization in young patients along with studying young athletes in the motion analysis laboratory to safely return them to play. Dr. Milewski is also interested in the effects of athletics on the growing musculoskeletal system. He has advanced training in arthroscopy and sports medicine and his clinical practice focuses on the care of the injured child and adolescent.
- Keller TC, Tompkins M, Economopoulos K, Milewski MD, Gaskin C, Brockmeier S, Hart J, Miller MD. Tibial tunnel placement accuracy during anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: independent femoral versus transtibial femoral tunnel drilling techniques. Arthroscopy. 2014 Jun 4. pii: S0749-8063(14)00282-5.
- Talusan PG, Toy J, Perez JL, Milewski MD, Reach JS Jr. Anterior ankle impingement: Diagnosis and Treatment. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2014 May;22(5):333-9.
- Talusan PG, Milewski MD, Toy JO, Wall EJ. Osteochondritis Dissecans of the Talus: Diagnosis and Treatment. Clin Sports Med. 2014 Apr;33(2):267-84.
- Milewski MD, Nissen CW. Preface. Clin Sports Med. 2014 Apr;33(2):xiii-xiv.
- Milewski MD, Skaggs DL, Bishop GA, Pace JL, Ibrahim DA, Wren TAL, Barzdukas A. Chronic Lack of Sleep is Associated with Increased Sports Injuries in Adolescent Athletes. J Ped Orthop. 2014 Mar:34(2):129-133.
- Economopoulos KJ, Milewski MD, Hanks JB, Hart JM, Diduch DR. Radiographic evidence of FAI in athletes with sports hernias. Sports Health. 2014 Mar;6(2):171-177.
- Economopoulos KJ, Milewski MD, Hanks JB, Hart JM, Diduch DR, Sports Hernia Treatment: Modified Bassini versus Minimal Repair. Sports Health 2013 Sep;5(5): 463-469.
- Deanehan JK, Nigrovic PA, Milewski MD, Tanny ST, Kimia AA, Smith BG, Nigovic LE. Synovial fluid findings in children with knee monoarthritis in Lyme disease endemic areas. Pediatric Emergency Care 2014 Jan;30(1):16-19.
- Milewski MD, Nissen CW. Shoulder instability in the pediatric athlete. Clin Sports Med. 2013 Oct;32(4):761-779.
- Tompkins M, Diduch DR, Bonner, KF, Hart JM, Gwathmey FW Jr., Milewski MD, Gaskin CM . Early results of a novel single-stage cartilage restoration technique: minced juvenile articular cartilage allograft for chondral defects of the patella. Arthroscopy. 2013 Oct;29(10):1661-70.
- Tompkins M, Cosgrove C, Milewski MD, Brockmeier SF, Hart JM, Miller MD. ACL Reconstruction Femoral Tunnel Characteristics Using an Accessory Medial Portal Versus Traditional Transtibial Drilling. Arthroscopy. 2013 Mar;29(3):550-555.
- Talusan PG, Milewski MD, Reach JS Jr. Fifth toe deformities: overlapping and underlapping toes. Foot Ankle Spec 2013. 2013 Apr;6(2):145-9. doi: 10.1177/1938640013477129. Epub 2013 Feb 25.
- Deanehan JK, Kimia A, Tanny ST, Milewski MD, Talusan PG, Smith BG, Nigrovic LE. Distinguishing lyme from septic knee monoarthritis in lyme disease-endemic areas. Pediatrics 2013 Mar;131(3):e695-701. doi: 10.1542/peds.2012-2531. Epub 2013 Feb 18.
- Tompkins M, Keller TC, Milewski MD, Gaskin CM, Brockmeier SF, Hart JM, Miller MD. Anatomic Femoral Tunnels in PCL Reconstruction: Inside-Out versus Outside-In Drilling. Am J Sports Med. 2013 Jan;41(1):43-50.
- Tompkins M, Milewski MD, Carson EW, Brockmeier SF, Hamann JC, Hart JM, Miller MD. Femoral tunnel length in primary anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction using an accessory medial portal. Arthroscopy. 2013 Feb;29(2):238-243.
- Diduch DR, Scanelli J, Tompkins M, Milewski MD, Carson EW, Ma SY. Tissue anchor use in arthroscopic glenohumeral surgery. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2012 Jul;20(7):459-71.
- Milewski MD, Nissen CW, Westwell M, Ounpuu S, Solomito M. Adolescent baseball pitching technique: lower extremity biomechanical analysis. J Appl Biomech. 2012 May 10. [Epub ahead of print]
- Milewski MD, Tompkins M, Giugale JM, Carson EW, Miller MD, Diduch DR. Complications related to anatomic reconstruction of the coracoclavicular ligaments. Am J Sports Med. 2012 Jul;40(7):1628-34. Epub 2012 May 2.
- Milewski MD, Diduch DR, Hart JM, Tompkins M, Ma SY, Gaskin CM.
Bone replacement of fast-absorbing biocomposite anchors in arthroscopic shoulder labral repairs. Am J Sports Med. 2012 Jun;40(6):1392-401. Epub 2012 Apr 20.
- Tompkins M, Milewski MD, Brockmeier SF, Gaskin CM, Hart JM, Miller MD.
Anatomic femoral tunnel drilling in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: use of an accessory medial portal versus traditional transtibial drilling. Am J Sports Med. 2012 Jun;40(6):1313-21. Epub 2012 Apr 20.
- Milewski MD, Beck NA, Lawrence JT, Ganley TJ. Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction in the young athlete: a treatment algorithm for the skeletally immature. Clin Sports Med. 2011;30(4):801-810.
- Milewski, MD, Sanders TG, Miller MD. MRI-arthroscopy correlation: the knee. J Bone Joint Surg Am. Instructional Course Lectures. 2011 Sep 21;93(18):1735-1745.
- Milewski MD, Smitaman E, Moukaddam H, Katz, LD, Essig DA, Medvecky MJ, Haims AH. Comparison of 3D vs. 2D fast spin echo imaging for evaluation of articular cartilage in the knee on a 3T system scientific research. European Journal of Radiology. 2011. Jun 15.
- Milewski MD, Whang P, Grauer JN. Novel technique for preparing an allograft fibula to be used as a transacral graft for high grade spondylolisthesis. Am J Orthop. 2011;40(3):130-133, 138.
- Smith BG, Cruz AI, Milewski MD, Shapiro E. Lyme disease and the orthopaedic implications of Lyme arthritis. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2011 Feb;19(2):91-100.
- Milewski MD, Cruz AI, Miller CP, Peterson AT, Smith BG. Lyme arthritis in children presenting with joint effusions. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011 Feb;93(3):252-60.
- Slade JF 3rd, Milewski MD. Management of carpal instability in athletes. Hand Clin. Aug 2009. 25(3):395-408.