Cardiology (Heart Care & Surgery)
Connecticut Children’s Medical Center's cardiology specialists have handled more than 7,000 pediatric patient care visits, and perform over 100 heart surgeries each year. Our multidisciplinary team of cardiac physicians, surgeons and specialists are exclusively trained to care for patients still in the womb, infants, children, adolescents, young adults, and adults born with congenital defects.
Our team of pediatric specialists offers specialized expertise to match the precise need of your child and deliver the highest quality cardiac care. For children requiring heart surgery, our cardiothoracic surgery team, cardiac anesthesiology and the pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) act as one integrated team to provide every child with optimal pre- and post-operative care. Connecticut Children's is a leader in techniques to minimize blood loss and blood transfusions for all patients who require heart surgery.
We have some of the newest technologies and latest techniques available for scanning the structure of your child's heart. Our completely digital pediatric echocardiography lab enables us to provide you with results during your visit. Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) offers your child several advantages: it doesn’t require invasive techniques, it doesn’t use radiation and it gives clear, detailed images. We work with every family before and after the scan to make sure you understand your child’s results.
Programs & Services
- Routine evaluations
- State-of-the-art echocardiography, including fetal imaging
- MRI imaging, EP (electrophysiologic) tests and interventional cardiac catheterization
- Leading surgery program
- Cardiac stress testing, cardiac ablation and rhythm management
- Pacemakers and implantable cardiac defibrillators
- Comprehensive care for adults with congenital heart conditions
- Diagnosis and care for fetuses with congenital heart disease or abnormalities
- Cardiac care at locations throughout Connecticut