Christopher Carroll, MD, MS
|Education:||BS, Georgetown University, 1992
MD, Georgetown University School of Medicine, 1996
MS, University of Connecticut
|Residency:||Pediatrics, Children’s Memorial Hospital, 1996-1999|
|Fellowship:||Pediatric Critical Care, Children’s Memorial Hospital, 1999-2002|
Pediatric Critical Care
Associate Professor of Pediatrics, University of Connecticut School of Medicine
Dr. Carroll is an active and productive researcher, administrator, educator, and clinician at Connecticut Children’s Medical Center. The primary focus of Dr. Carroll’s research is to examine the relationship between a child’s genetics and the development of disease, particularly bronchiolitis and severe asthma. With the support of Connecticut Children’s Investigator Development Program and help from an outstanding research staff including Kate Sala and Laurie Karamessinis, Dr. Carroll has shown excellent productivity in terms of publications and research awards.
Dr. Carroll has been active in improving the quality and safety of care provided to children in the PICU, and participates in several national quality committees within the NIH and the CDC. Dr. Carroll is active in the leadership of several national and international groups, including the American College of Chest Physicians, the Pediatric Acute Lung Injury and Sepsis Investigators Network He also serves as an associate editor of Chest. Dr. Carroll is an educational liaison for the medical students and fellows in the PICU, and has been nominated for several teaching awards. Recently, Dr. Carroll has taken on the responsibility to serve as medical director for surgical critical care where he serves as liaison for the PICU’s active surgery program.
- Carroll CL. Status Asthmaticus. Critical Care Clinics 2013 (in press)
- Matos RI, Watson RS, Nadkarni VM, Huang HH, Meaney PA, Carroll CL, Berg RA, Berens RJ, Praestgaard A, Weissfeld L, Spinella PC. Duration of CPR and illness category impact survival and neurologic outcomes for in-hospital pediatric cardiac arrests. Circulation 2013 (in press)
- Carroll CL, Sala K, Zucker AR, Schramm CM. Pulmonary mechanics following albuterol therapy in mechanically ventilated children with bronchiolitis. J Asthma 2012 (in press)
- Carroll CL, Coro M, Cowl A, Sala K, Schramm CM. Transient occult cardiotoxicity in children receiving continuous beta-agonist therapy. World J Pediatr 2012 (in press)
- Hymel KP, Willson DF, Boos SC, Pullin DA, Homa K, Lorenz DJ, et al for the Pediatric Brain Injury Research Network (PediBIRN) Investigators. Development of a clinical prediction rule for pediatric abusive head trauma. Pediatr Crit Care 2012; (in press)
- Carroll CL, Sala K, Zucker AR, Schramm CM. β2-adrenergic receptor haplotype linked to respiratory failure in children with asthma. J Asthma 2012; 49(6): 563-568.
- Carroll CL, Sala K, Zucker AR, Schramm CM. Beta-adrenergic receptor polymorphisms and response to therapy in pediatric status asthmaticus: a prospective cohort study. Pediatr Pulmonology 2012; 47(3): 233-239.
- Randolph AG, Vaughn F, Sullivan R, Rubinson L, Thompson BT, Yoon G et al, for the Pediatric Acute Lung Injury and Sepsis Investigators (PALISI) Network PICFlu Investigators. Critically ill children during the 2009-2010 influenza pandemic in the United States. Pediatrics 2011; 128(6): e1-e9.
- Sala K, Carroll CL, Tang YD, Aglio T, Dressler A, Schramm CM. Factors associated with the development of near fatal asthma exacerbations in children. J Asthma 2011; 48(6):558-564.
- Seifert ME, Welak SR, Carroll CL. Hyponatremia is associated with increased severity of disease in critically ill children with bronchiolitis. Int J Clin Med 2010; 1(2):37-40.
- Spinella PC, Dressler AM, Tucci M, Carroll CL, Rosen RS, Sloan S, Lacroix J. Survey of Transfusion Policies at US and Canadian Children's Hospitals in 2008 and 2009. Transfusion 2010; 50(11): 2358-2335.
- Santschi M, Jouvet P, Leclerc F, Gauvin F, Newth CLJ, Carroll CL, Flori H, Tasker RC, Rimensberger PC, Randolph AR, for the PALIVE Investigators, the Pediatric Acute Lung Injury and Sepsis Investigators Network (PALISI) and the European Society of Pediatric and Neonatal Intensive Care (ESPNIC). Acute lung injury in children: therapeutic practice and feasibility of international clinical trials. Pediatr Crit Care 2010; 11(6): 681-689.
- Dressler AM, Finck CM, Carroll CL, Bonanni CC, Spinella PC. Use of a massive transfusion protocol with hemostatic resuscitation for severe intraoperative bleeding in a child. J Pediatr Surg 2010; 45(7):1530-1533.
- Carroll CL, Uygungil B, Zucker AR, Schramm CM. Children with repeated ICU admissions for asthma: identifying an at-risk population. J Asthma 2010; 47:460-464.
- Bravo RC, Carroll CL, Schramm CM, Bhandari A*. Reassessment of disease severity in children following life-threatening asthma exacerbations. Journal of Asthma & Allergy Educators 2010; 1:56-60.
- Carroll CL, Spinella PC, Corsi JM, Stoltz P, Zucker AR. Emergent endotracheal intubation in children: careful if it's late when you intubate. Pediatr Crit Care 2010; 11(3):343-348.
- Carroll CL. Heliox for children with acute asthma: has the sun set on this therapy? Pediatr Crit Care 2010; 11(3):425-426.
- Spinella PC, Carroll CL, Staff I, Gross R, McQuay J, Wade CE, Holcomb JB. Duration of RBC storage is associated with increased incidence of deep vein thrombosis and in hospital mortality in patients with traumatic injuries. Crit Care 2009; 13(5):R151. doi:10.1186/cc8050.
- Carroll CL. Non-invasive positive pressure ventilation for the treatment of lower respiratory tract diseases in children. Clinical Pediatric Emergency Medicine 2009; 10(2):90-94.
- Schramm CM, Carroll CL. Advances in treating acute asthma exacerbations in children. Current Opinion in Pediatrics 2009; 21(3):326-332.
- Carroll CL, Stoltz P, Schramm CM, Zucker AR. β2-adrenergic receptor polymorphisms affect response to treatment in near fatal asthma exacerbations in children. Chest 2009; 135:1186-1192.
- Carroll CL, Schramm CM, Zucker AR. Severe exacerbations in children with mild asthma. J Asthma 2008; 45(6):513-517.
- Carroll CL, Schramm CM, Zucker AR. Slow responders to IV β2-adrenergic receptor agonist therapy: defining a novel phenotype in pediatric asthma. Pediatr Pulmonol 2008; 43(7):627-633.
- Carroll CL, Zucker AR. Barotrauma not related to mode of positive pressure ventilation during severe asthma exacerbations in children. J Asthma 2008; 45(5):421-424.
- Carroll CL, Krieger D, Campbell M, Fisher DG, Comeau LL, Zucker AR. The use of dexmedetomidine for sedation of children in the intensive care unit. J Hosp Med 2008; 3(2):142-147.
- Carroll CL. Site of intubation and duration of mechanical ventilation in pediatric status asthmaticus. Pediatr Crit Care 2007; 8(5):509-510.
- Carroll CL*, Stoltz P, Raykov N, Smith SR, Zucker AR. Childhood overweight increases hospital admission rates for asthma. Pediatrics 2007; 120(4): 734-740.
- Carroll CL, Zucker AR. The increased costs of complications for children with status asthmaticus. Pediatric Pulmonol 2007; 42(10):914-919.
- Carroll CL, Smith SR, Collins M, Bhandari A, Schramm CM, Zucker AR. Endotracheal intubation and pediatric status asthmaticus: site of original care affects treatment. Pediatr Crit Care 2007; 8(2):91-95.
- Carroll CL, Bhandari A, Zucker AR, Schramm CM. Childhood obesity increases duration of therapy during severe asthma exacerbations. Pediatr Crit Care 2006; 7(6):527-531.
- Carroll CL*, Bhandari A, Schramm CM, Zucker AR. Chronic inhaled corticosteroids do not affect acute severe asthma exacerbations in children. Pediatr Pulmonol 2006; 41:1213-1217.
- Carroll CL, Schramm CM. Non-invasive ventilation for the treatment of status asthmaticus in children. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2006; 96(3):454-459.
- Carroll CL, Schramm CM. Protocol –based titration of intravenous terbutaline decreases length of stay in pediatric status asthmaticus. Pediatr Pulmonol 2006; 41:350-356.
- Carroll CL, Backer CL, Mavroudis C, Cook K, Goodman DM. The use of inhaled prostacyclin following surgical repair of congenital heart disease- a pilot study. J Card Surg 2005; 20(5):436-439.
- Carroll CL, Sekaran AK, Lerer TJ, Schramm CM. A modified pulmonary index score with predictive value for pediatric asthma exacerbations. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2005; 94(3):355-359.
- Carroll CL, Goodman DM. Endotracheal albuterol treatment of acute bronchospasm. Am J Emerg Med 2004; 22(6):506-507.
- Carroll CL, Goodman DM, Superina RA, Whitington PF, Alonso EM. Timed pediatric risk of mortality (PRISM) scores predict outcomes in pediatric liver transplant recipients. Pediatric Transplantation 2003; 7(4):289-295.
- Kelly LM, Porta NFM, Goodman DM, Carroll CL, Steinhorn RH. Inhaled prostacyclin for term infants with persistant pulmonary hypertension of the newborn refractory to nitric oxide. J Pediatr 2002; 141(6):830-2.