Renee C.B. Manworren, PhD, APRN, BC, PCNS-BC, FAAN
|Education:||BSN, Loyola University Chicago, 1988
MS, Rush University, 1994
PhD, University of Texas at Arlington, 2010
|Fellowship:||Ferne C. Newman Kyba Fellow, 2010
Mayday Pain & Society Fellowship: Media and Policy Initiative, 2012
Pain Management Nursing
Pediatric Clinical Nurse Specialist
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, University of Connecticut School of Medicine
Assistant Professor, University of Connecticut School of Nursing
Dr. Manworren is an internationally known lecturer and expert in clinical mangement of pediatric acute pain. She is on the board of the American Pain Society, ChildKind International, and master faculty of the American Society for Pain Management Nursing. Her research focuses on the role of the family and innovative methods of managing post-surgical pain. Dr. Manworren and her collaborators, Drs. Ruano and Seip at Hartford Hospital, recently received funding to interrogate genetic mechanisms of pain sensitivity and alterations in analgesic metabolism to identify potential risk factors for post-operative pain and adverse analgesic effects. Dr. Manworren is one of the primary mentors for Connecticut Children’s nurses who are interested in research.
- Mace Weeks S, Baker K, Behan D, Manworren R, Moore P, Smith A, Speer K, Turpin P. (2013) Regional fellowship bridges gap between practice and academia. Nursing Management.Jun;44(6):19-22. doi: 10.1097/01.NUMA.0000430410.73206.f5. PMID:23698333
- Baxter AL, Ewing PH, Young GB, Ware A, Evans N, Manworren RC. (2013). EMLA application exceeding two hours improves pediatric emergency department venipuncture success Advanced Emergency Nursing Journal 35(1):67-75. doi:10.1097/TME.0b013e31827f50cb. PMID:23364407
- Jain, G., Mahendra, V., Singhal, S., Dzara, K., Pilla, T.R., Madaan, V., & Manworren, R. (2013). Long-term Neuropsychological Effects of Opioid Use in Children: A Descriptive Review (abstract). The Journal of Pain 14 (4) S
- Karamessinis, L., Cooper, J., Manworren, R. C. B. (2013). Home management of children’s pain after laparoscopic appendectomy: Preliminary Results. (abstract). The Journal of Pain 14 (4) S83.
- Manworren, R. C. B., Karamessinis, L. & Cooper, J. (2013). Home management of children’s pain after laparoscopic appendectomy: Unexpected findings. (abstract). The Journal of Pain 14 (4) S38.
- Manworren, R.C.B.. (2013). The Child with a musculoskeletal alteration, In James, S.R., Nelson, K.A. & Ashwill, J.W. (Eds.) Nursing Care of Children: Principles & Practice, 4th Edition. Elsevier Publishers
- Manworren, R.C.B. &. Mackey, W. (2013). Care of children with acute pain: Operative or medical procedures and trauma, In Browne, NT., et al. (Eds.) Nursing Care of the Pediatric Surgical Patient 3rd Edition. Jones & Bartlett Publishers
- Herr K, Coyne PJ, McCaffery M, Manworren R, Merkel S. (2011). Pain assessment in the patient unable to self-report: position statement with clinical practice recommendations.
Pain Management Nursing 2011 Dec;12(4):230-50. doi: 10.1016/j.pmn.2011.10.002.PMID:22117755
- Manworren, R.C.B. (2010). Pediatric Nurses’ Journeys of Caring to Relieve Children’s Post-operative Pain. University of Texas at Arlington. 356.
- Behan, D. & Manworren, R. C. B. (2010). Outcomes of a collaborative Evidence Based Practice Fellowship (abstract). International Journal of Evidence-Based Healthcare, 8(3), 158.
- Manworren, R.C.B. & Greenberg, C. (2009). Pain Management in Children, In Bowden, V. & Greenberg, C. (Eds.) Children and Their Families: The Continuum of Care 2nd Edition, New York,NY: Wolters Kluwer- Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
- Manworren, R.C.B. & Greenberg, C. (2008). Principles of Pain Management, In Bowden, V. & Greenberg, C. (Eds.) Pediatric Nursing Procedures 2nd Edition, New York,NY: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
- Koch, J., Manworren, R. C. B., Clark, L., Quinn, C.T. Buchanan, G.R., Rogers, Z. (2008). Pilot Study of continuous Co-Infusion of Morphine and Naloxone in Children with Sickle Cell Pain Crisis. American Journal of Hematology, 83(9), 728-731. PMID:18543345
- Manworren, R. C. B. (2007). It’s time to relieve children’s pain. Journal for Specialists in Pediatric Nursing, 12(3), 196-198. PMID:17594299
- Pop, R., Manworren, R. C. B., & Guzzetta, C. (2007) Perianesthesia Nurses Pain Management Following Tonsillectomy and Adenoidectomy: Pediatric Patient Outcomes. Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing, 22 (2), 91-101. PMID:17395076
- Pasero, C., Manworren, R. C. B., McCaffery, M. (2007) IV Opioid range orders for acute pain management. American Journal of Nursing, 107(2), 62-69. PMID:17251777
- Manworren, R. C. B. (2006). A Call to action to protect range orders. American Journal of Nursing, 106(7), 65-68. PMID:16801792
- American Pain Society. (2009). Principles of analgesic use in the treatment of acute and cancer pain. (6th ed.). Glenview, IL: Author.
- Herr, K., Coyne, P.J., Key, T., Manworren, R.C.B., McCaffery, M., Merkel, S., Pelosi-Kelly, J., Wild, L. (2006). Pain assessment in the nonverbal patient: Position statement with clinical practice recommendations. Pain Management Nursing, 7 (2) 44-52.PMID:16730317
- Manworren, R.C.B., Paulos, C. & Pop, R. (2004) Treating children for acute agitation in the PACU: Differentiating pain and emergency delirium. Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing, 19 (3) 183-193. PMID:15195277
- Manworren, R. C. B. & Hynan, L. (2003). Clinical Validation of FLACC: Preverbal Patient Pain Scale. Pediatric Nursing, 29(2), 140-146. PMID:12723828
- Manworren, R. C. B., (2002) Managing Pain in Children with Crohn Disease. American Journal of Nursing,102 (10) 31.
- Slaughter, A., Pasero, C., & Manworren, R., (2002). Unacceptable Pain Levels: Approaches to prompting pain relief. American Journal of Nursing, 102 (5) 75-77. PMID:12006857
- Clark, L & Manworren, R.C.B., (2001). Immunizations: Could They Hurt Less? Journal of Pediatric Health Care(15): 322-323. PMID:11717691
- Manworren, R. C. B. (2001). Development and Testing of the Pediatric Nurses’ Knowledge and Attitudes Survey Regarding Pain. Pediatric Nursing, 27(2), 151-158. PMID:12962251
- Manworren, R. C. B. (2000). Pediatric Nurses’ Knowledge and Attitudes Survey Regarding Pain. Pediatric Nursing, 26(6), 610-614. PMID:12026363
- Manworren, R. C. B., Conner, C., Myers, M., McCarthy, K. (1999). Clinical Impact of Preoperative Respiratory Syncytial Virus Testing. AORN Journal, 69(5) 1003-1012. PMID: 10332554
- Manworren, R. C. B. & Woodring, B. (1998). Evaluating Children’s Literature as a Source for Patient Education. Pediatric Nursing, 24(6), 548-553. PMID:10085997
- Manworren, R. C. B. (1996). Developmental Effects on the Adolescent of a Temporary Ileostomy. Journal of WOCN, 23(4), 210-217. PMID:8900674