Careers in Health

As the only freestanding medical center in Connecticut dedicated to caring for children, Connecticut Children’s offers careers in a wide range of medical specialties and support services.

Careers in health care require different levels of education, experience, certifications, and licenses. When considering a career in health, you might wonder which specific credentials are necessary. Below is sampling of positions within Connecticut Children’s with details about the necessary qualifications.

Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology

Minimum Degree: Doctoral degree in audiology or a master’s degree obtained prior to 2007 required to be eligible for certification
Certification: Certificate of Clinical Competence obtained from the American Academy of Audiology (AAA) or American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
License: A Connecticut-granted license is required to practice in the state  

Child Life Specialist

Minimum Degree: Bachelor’s degree
Certification: Granted after completing 480 hours of child life clinical experience (internship, fellowship, practicum or paid work experience)

Clinical Psychology

Minimum Degree: PhD in Psychology or PsyD
License: To become licensed, an individual must meet education, supervised experience (usually completed in one year during the doctoral program and second year after receipt of the doctoral and examination requirements)

Family Support Clinician

Minimum Degree: Master of Social Work (MSW), master’s degree in Marriage & Family Therapy, master’s degree or PhD in psychology, or Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN)

Occupational Therapy

Minimum Degree: Bachelor’s or master’s degree from an Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) accredited program
Certification: NBCOT certification required
License: Required and renewed annually

Physical Therapy

Minimum Degree: Bachelor’s or master’s degree from a Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) accredited program
Certification: Physical therapy license required
License: Required and renewed annually

Radiologic Technologist

Minimum Degree: Radiologic Technology certificate, associate’s degree or bachelor’s degree from a Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (JRCERT) accredited program
Certification: JRCERT certification required
License: Required and renewed annually

Registered Dietitian

Minimum Degree: Bachelor's degree from a program that is accredited or approved by the Commission on Accreditation for Dietetics Education (CADE); Must complete a CADE-accredited or -approved supervised practice program at a health care facility, community agency, or a foodservice corporation, or combined with undergraduate or graduate studies
Certification: Must pass a national examination administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR); Must complete continuing professional educational requirements to maintain registration

Social Work

Minimum Degree: Bachelor’s of Social Work (BSW) or master’s of Social Work (MSW)