Visit our foundation to give a gift.
View Locations Near Me
Main Campus – Hartford
Connecticut Children’s – Waterbury
Urgent Care – Farmington
Specialty Care Center – Danbury
Connecticut Children’s Surgery Center at Farmington
Specialty Care Center – Fairfield
Search All Locations
Find a doctor
Find A Doctor
Request an Appointment
Amenities and Services
Who’s Who on Care Team
Getting Ready for Surgery
What to Expect—Picture Stories
Pay a Bill
Understanding the Different Fees
Pricing Transparency and Estimates
Raytheon Technologies Family Resource Center
Family Advisory Council
Legal Advocacy: Benefits, Education, Housing
Electronic Health Records
Share Your Story
Pay a Bill
Login to MyChart
Clinical Support Services Referrals
About the Network
Join the Network
Graduate Medical Education
Continuing Medical Education
MOC/Practice Quality Improvement
Educating Practices in the Community (EPIC)
Learning & Performance
Meet our Physician Relations Team
Request Medical Records
Join our Referring Provider Advisory Board
View our Physician Callback Standards
Read & Subscribe to Medical News
Register for Email Updates
Update Your Practice Information
Refer a Patient
Find and Print Health Info
Health Information For Parents
Button batteries are small, shiny, coin-shaped batteries. They’re used in devices like watches, toys, remote controls, flameless candles, holiday decorations, and hearing aids. They’re dangerous for toddlers and kids, who easily can put them in their mouths, ears, or noses.
A button battery put in a child’s mouth can get stuck in the windpipe and block breathing. Chemicals in the batteries can cause serious burns when swallowed or stuck in the body. A swallowed button battery or one that’s stuck in the nose or ear can cause a very serious injury.
A swallowed button battery or one in the nose or ears is an emergency.
Store all batteries where kids can’t see or reach them. Recycle or throw out used batteries properly. Many communities have battery drop-off bins where you can take used batteries.
A button battery stuck in the body is an emergency.
Don’t make your child throw up. The battery could cause injury on the way out. Don’t let your child eat or drink except for the honey.
A child who has swallowed a button battery might:
If the battery is stuck in the ear or nose, you might see blood or other drainage.
If you’re expecting a baby or already have a child, it’s a good idea to:
Even with these precautions in place, kids still can get hurt and accidents do happen. But being prepared will help you to act quickly and confidently in the event of an emergency.
Choking is usually caused by food, toys, and other small objects that can get stuck in a child’s windpipe. Read about how to protect kids from choking hazards.
Toys are a fun and important part of any child’s development. And there’s plenty you can do to make sure all toys are safe.
How can you tell if a small toy poses a choking risk? What types of unsafe toys should you avoid for your baby, toddler, or preschooler? Find out here.
Choking can be a life-threatening emergency. Follow these steps if your child is choking.
If you think that your child has taken a poison and he or she is not alert, call 911. Otherwise, contact your local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222.
Knowing what to expect when you need to take your child to the emergency room can help make it a little less stressful.
CPR saves lives. Find out how it works.
Choking is an emergency – so it’s important to recognize the signs of choking and know what to do if happens.
You might think of babies and toddlers when you hear the words “babyproofing” or “childproofing,” but unintentional injury is the leading cause of death in kids 14 and under.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2020 KidsHealth®. All rights reserved.
Images provided by The Nemours Foundation, iStock, Getty Images, Veer, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com.