Medical social workers, also known as family support clinicians, assess the bio-psychosocial (biological, psychological and social) functioning of patients and their families and provide support and guidance as necessary.
The social workers within the Division of Nephrology offer coping strategies and resources that may include connecting patients and families to necessary resources, supportive counseling, grief counseling, and helping a patient and family to expand and strengthen their network of social supports.
Our dedicated family support clinicians may assist with:
- Patient and family education
- New diagnosis support
- Adjustment to chronic illness
- Parenting and care-giving concerns
- Support during all phases of the transplantation process
- Adjustment to daily life with dialysis