Connecticut Children’s Friends
Connecticut Children’s Friends is a 100 percent volunteer organization that is rooted in the history of the medical center. Founded in 1968 to support Newington Children’s Hospital, the Friends still operate today to support the mission of Connecticut Children’s Medical Center through a number of fundraising activities. Funds raised by the Friends are used to purchase state-of-the-art medical equipment and support innovative programs that serve patients and families, staff and members of the Connecticut Children’s community.
Anyone who has ever been touched by the incredible care that is provided at Connecticut Children’s is welcome to join the Friends organization. Friends members represent diverse ages, cultures and professions. Our Friends are ambassadors of Connecticut Children’s within the many communities we serve. Members are invited to be as active as they choose, by supporting Connecticut Children’s with their membership dues, volunteering at the Friends gift shop or organizing their own fundraising events. All members help make a positive difference to the children, families and staff at Connecticut Children’s.
Connecticut Children’s Friends manage the gift shop located at the medical center’s main campus. The shop offers a wide array of children’s toys, books and games, Connecticut Children’s logo wear, gift items for all occasions, and much more. Funds raised in the gift shop, which is staffed by volunteers, are put toward the Friends contribution to Connecticut Children’s. To place an order for gift delivery to a patient’s room at Connecticut Children’s, please call 860.545.9385.
Contributions from the Friends have been used to fund:
- Annual department grants that support children and staff needs
- Annual Employee Recognition Programs
- Community programs including Nurturing Families and Safe Kids Connecticut
- Purchasing of medical equipment
- Purchasing of sleeper sofas for patient families
- The Betty Sieniuc Volunteer scholarship
- The Caregiver Wellness Program
- The Family Advisory Board and Council
- The Friends scholarship for children of Connecticut Children’s employees
- The Hearing Aid Loaner Program
- The Sickle Cell Pain Management Program
Become a member
You can support Connecticut Children’s patients, families and staff by joining the Friends. As a member, you will receive:
- Helping Hands, the newsletter of the Friends
- Connecticut Children’s annual report
- A guided tour of the medical center
- Connecticut Children’s Friends logo pin and car decal
- Invitation to the Storybook Gala
- 10 percent discount at the Friends gift shop on all purchases
To learn more about Connecticut Children’s Friends, send an email or call 860.545.8542.