Child Life specialists facilitate coping and use a variety of interventions to support the emotional needs of hospitalized children, as well as their siblings when appropriate. Child Life specialists prepare children for medical procedures in an age-appropriate way and provide children with coping strategies throughout painful, invasive or difficult situations. They work to promote child development and provide opportunities for therapeutic play, socialization, mastery, and normalcy in a physically and emotionally safe environment.
Child Life specialists:
- Assess children’s understanding of their hospitalization, illness, treatment or procedure
- Offer medical education, preparation and support to children undergoing tests, surgeries, and other medical procedures using coping skills, distraction or guided imagery
- Encourage children’s growth and development by incorporating play and age-appropriate activities
- Provide means of diversion, expression, and healing through art, music, pet therapy and other programs
- Assist brothers and sisters who are coping with their sibling’s illness or hospitalization
- Help families deal with death and grief
Contact Child Life staff weekdays at 860.545.9700 or call 860.545.9000 evenings, weekends and holidays.
Internship and Practicum Opportunities
Child Life offers internships in the Fall and Spring semesters and practicum experiences in the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters for those pursuing child life as a career. Click on the links below for more information.
If you have further questions, please contact Christine Tatem.
Each year, Connecticut Children’s celebrates National Superhero Day! Learn more about our annual events and see videos and pictures from previous years’ festivities.
In honor of Child Life Month, Connecticut Children’s Child Life Specialist Kelly Foy answers a few questions about the importance of Child Life and why she loves her job!
In honor of Child Life Month, we sat down with Child Life Specialist Katie Robbins to learn more about her experiences and why she chose such a special career!