Attending Doctors

Attending Doctors are in charge of your child’s care while he or she is in the hospital. These doctors have the most experience. They teach and supervise residents and medical students, and oversee the healthcare team. Doctors who perform surgery are also called surgeons.


Residents have graduated from medical school. They are doctors in a three to five year training program. They work under the supervision of an attending doctor.


Interns are doctors in the first year of a residency program.

Senior Residents

Senior Residents have completed the first year of a residency program.

Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine and Medical Doctors

Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine (DO) and Medical Doctors (MD) attend four-year medical schools and have a license to practice medicine. Residents can be either a MD or DO.

Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRN)

Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRN), also called Nurse Practitioners, have completed a masters program in nursing. They perform physical exams, diagnose illnesses, and prescribe medications under the supervision of a physician.

Physician’s Assistants

Physician’s Assistants (PA) work under the direction of a physician. They perform exams, write prescriptions and treat illnesses.

Registered Nurses

Registered Nurses (RN) are responsible for the day-to-day care of your child. They will help teach you about your child’s illness, coordinate discharge needs, and communicate with all members of the health care team to provide the best care for your child.

Resource Nurses

A Resource Nurse is selected during each shift to be in charge of the activities on the unit.

Nurse Managers

Nurse Managers are supervisors of the nursing staff.

Discharge Planners

Discharge Planners help set up visiting nurses, medical equipment and other services your child may need at home.

Patient Care Assistants

Patient Care Assistants (PCA) help nurses with patient care activities such as vital signs, bathing and meals.

Health Unit Coordinators

Health Unit Coordinators (HUC) are medical secretaries who assist with managing the activities of the unit.

Occupational Therapists

Occupational Therapists (OT) work with patients to improve their ability to eat, dress, bathe, play and care for themselves.

Physical Therapists

Physical Therapists (PT) work with patients to improve their strength and ability to walk, play or move in their environment.

Respiratory Therapists

Respiratory Therapists (RT) help treat patients with breathing problems and teach patients and families about home care.

Speech Therapists

Speech Therapists help patients who are having trouble swallowing or communicating.


Audiologists work with children who have hearing, balance and related ear problems.

Child Life Specialists

Child Life Specialists help children understand illness and the hospital experience. They provide support during medical procedures. They also offer creative activities and opportunities to play.

Registered Dietitians

Registered Dietitians (RD) work with you and the medical team to provide optimal nutrition for your child.

Lactation Consultants

Lactation Consultants are breastfeeding experts who can offer helpful tips for breastfeeding your baby.

Diet Technicians

Diet Technicians (Diet Tech) assist the Dietitian by offering appropriate food choices for patients and by teaching patients and families about their special diets.


Pharmacists work closely with the medical team to help choose the best medications for your child. They also help monitor the effects of those medications.

Pharmacy Technicians

Pharmacy Technicians (Pharmacy Tech) assist Pharmacists by preparing and delivering medications.

Social Workers

Social Workers (Family Support Clinicians) provide emotional support, coping strategies, educational resources and information about hospital and community based programs to families.


Interpreters are available if English is not your primary language.


Volunteers are invaluable members of the team who can hold, rock and play with patients.

Patient Representatives

Patient Representatives are Connecticut Children’s employees who can help you with any feedback or concerns. Contact a patient representative by email or phone at 860.837.5282.