The Pediatric Obesity Center at Connecticut Children’s offers clinical and research opportunities to medical students, residents and interns, along with psychology programs for doctoral students.
CME Academic Detailing for Primary Care Providers
The Pediatric Obesity Center for Treatment, Research and Education can provide primary care providers with an in-office CME presentation that reviews the guidelines for the initial evaluation of an overweight or obese child. Discussion topics include the most common childhood obesity co-morbidities, such as obstructive sleep apnea, hypertension, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, PCOS, hyperlipidemia and diabetes. For more information, contact Erin Cornell, 860.837.5756.
Connecticut Children’s Obesity Center will consider students enrolled in a PhD or PsyD degree programs with preference given to those previously enrolled in a year-long clinical program in child work. Placements begin in late summer and extend through the spring. Evening hours are required.
Medical Students, Residents & Interns
In collaboration with the University of Connecticut School of Medicine, our four-week pediatric obesity and nutrition elective focuses on the evaluation and treatment of childhood obesity. Course highlights include:
- Training obesity “champion” for primary care office
- Learning how to screen for and treat obesity co-morbidities
- Learning behavioral approach to weight management
- Training in motivational interviewing and behavioral modification
Weight Management Program Sessions
- Behavior modification-based programs
- Coaching participants
- Conducting family activities, among other educational experiences
- Sensitivity training
- Motivational interviewing
- How to assess for mental health problems, specifically for the obese child
- Weight management sessions
Other opportunities include community service programs, existing or new research studies and curriculum development. In addition, we host an annual educational event for pediatric providers (odd numbered years) and the community (even numbered years). For more information about any of our educational opportunities, contact Melissa Santos, PhD.