Connecticut Children’s Medical Center believes one of the most effective ways to make our communities better for children, now and in the future, is legislative advocacy. Quite simply, this means supporting laws and policies that are good for children—such as those that help prevent injuries or give children access to quality health care—and opposing ones that are not.
Connecticut Children’s is often called upon by policy makers to act as an expert resource on health care issues that affect children. Too often, kids do not have a voice in the decisions that affect them and their families. Connecticut Children’s advocacy efforts are aimed at making sure that children’s concerns are always heard when public policies are made.
Connecticut Children’s advocates for children using two distinct strategies:
- Direct Lobbying. This approach means we talk with policy makers about issues that affect kid’s health and act as an expert resource for pediatric health information.
- Grassroots Advocacy. This strategy involves mobilizing people who care about children’s health to influence policy issues that concern them. Connecticut Children’s Advocacy Network represents a group of people who care about the health and well-being of children and want to make a difference. Advocates write letters, make phone calls and share information when needed to help influence policy makers.
Your Voice Can Make a Difference
State leaders are currently working to write a new budget for the next two years and are facing a $5 billion deficit. As a result, Connecticut Children’s line item could be in jeopardy, which would have a detrimental impact to the well-being of children in the state. Your voice can make a difference and we encourage you to contact your state legislator to advocate for our funding in the state budget.
- To find your legislator, visit the Find Your Legislators page on the Connecticut General Assembly website and enter your address.
- Once you find your legislator, his or her email address will be displayed.
- Send an email to your legislator using this template and then attach ‘Please protect funding for Connecticut Children’s’
The choice to reach out to your legislators is entirely yours, but if you do, we would like to thank you in advance for advocating on behalf of Connecticut Children’s and children across our state!
Medical – Legal Partnership
Connecticut Children’s Medical Center improves the health and welfare of underserved children and their families through the Medical-Legal Partnership Project.
The Medical-Legal Partnership Project is devoted to providing traditional legal representation for children within a comprehensive approach to the child’s health care needs as well as advocating for children’s health on a systemic basis. Learn more about the Medical-Legal Partnership Program ».
Join Our Advocacy Network
Connecticut Children’s Advocacy Network includes people who are interested in the health and well-being of children and families, and willing to contribute by communicating with state and federal lawmakers about issues that are important to them.
By joining our Advocacy Network, you give us your permission to send updates on our activities and to contact you when we need your help. Our requests for help might include asking you to contact your legislators or participate in an event we are sponsoring.
To learn more or join the Advocacy Network, email Jane Baird, director of government relations, 860.837.5557.